Monday, February 16, 2009

Walking the Walk

I have known Eva Joy for maybe six or seven years now, meeting her when she came back from her mission. I knew of her family for quite some time, being in a neighboring ward growing up, so it was great to finally meet her when she came back from her mission and attended the singles ward for a bit before heading back up to the Y. I've admired her and respected her so much since then, but something happened a couple of weeks ago to where she now has her own personal ten-foot pedastal in my book.

Two gentlemen came to our ward, visiting our church for the first time. Both were dressed casually in jeans and stood out somewhat. One of them even got up during testimony meeting, so it's not like they weren't seen or noticed. We had break-the-fast after the three-hour block, and I walked in, got some food, and surveyed the scene: most folks were sitting with their groups, and these two gentlemen were sitting by themselves at a corner table.

I was standing next to Eva Joy who said, "Let's go sit with those guys." It was as simple as that, but I was profoundly struck by her walking the walk.

With all of our talk of fellowshipping and getting to know everyone and being friendly to everyone, reaching out to those whose hands hang low, I think we miss the boat far more often than we should. I think, especially in singles wards, we're far too consumed with who we're going to sit by, what cute boy we're going to talk to, etc. But Eva Joy gets it: it isn't about our own needs or desires. Sure, they're important, but there's something bigger than we are, something more important than we are.

I'm so glad I was standing next to Eva Joy at that moment, because she taught me something that's incredibly hard to learn, but she taught me that it can be done.

1 comment:

Wendy McMillan said...

I agree it's something we always talk about as if we're all experts. I use the "I'm in primary for 2/3 of church so I don't need to mingle w/ adults" excuse.

However, we just got 2 new girls whose mom drops them off at church to learn more about the gospel so they can decide if they want to be baptized. So yesterday it was me, the chorister, and one leader so we entertained the girls for 2 hours and tried to explain what priesthood is. Oh the things we take for granted being raised in the church!!