Sunday, August 31, 2008

Christ-like Attitudes

My friend, Lyndsey, gave a talk in our singles ward today, and it was such a fantastic talk. She and I had been discussing her topic all week and it gave me so much to think about: "Developing Christ-like Attitudes Towards Others." One of the things that hit me this week that's never hit me before is this (and it partially proves that I'm an idiot to just clue into this now): Christ is the key to changing our attitudes towards others. (How did I miss this before?)

If I want to be kinder to people, if I want to think more lovingly of people, if I want to see others as He sees them, I need Christ. Yes, I can do my part, but initially and ultimately, I need Christ. I say initially very purposefully; Brother Fluhman always hated how people say, "I do all I can and THEN Christ helps me," as though we earn his grace and mercy, as though we do our part and then Christ's mercy kicks in. It doesn't work that way. His grace and mercy is helping us all along the way as we contribute whatever it is that we can. It's a partnership, not a I do this, and then He does this.

I'm so rambling, but I've had so many fun thoughts lately!

But the key for me to her topic had two parts that are very interconnected. One is Sheri Dew's point that our degree of conversion can be seen in how we treat others. Examples are plentiful in the scriptures where, when people come unto Christ and are forgiven of their sins, their thoughts immediately turn to the welfare of others. "When we turn our hearts over to the Lord, we instinctively open our hearts to others."

The second point is that we truly need to apply the Atonement in shaping our attitudes towards others. We can't do it properly or fully on our own; we can do a lot, to be sure, but I think to have the exhilarating, healthy and fulfilling relationships (I don't just mean romantic relationships here--I'm talking about all relationships) come best with His help, with an infusion of His love into us, so that we can see people as He sees them.

Does any of this make sense? I think it makes more sense conceptually in my head than on paper (uhhh . . . blogs), but it's been a fun pondering topic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a good point. It reminds me of times where I try to work out a problem and then call my mom or dad or you for that extra help or finishing touch. It's a very physical, linear process of relying on people and getting their feedback.

But with Christ it's not as easy to draw the line between where his help begins since his essence and spirit can always be with us. We feel his influence (hopefully) in our decisions even before we consciously ask for it.